Tuesday 23 March 2010

Day 70 Mar 23 - Caribbean Sea

Well this is it, day 70 of our 70-day Grand Voyage of South America, the Antarctic and the Amazon.

It's a bit like end of term at school. Nothing much happening and not sure what to do before the break-up for the holidays.

At 10.15 we were all invited to the Queens Lounge for a glass of champagne followed by a detailed presen-tation by Cruise Director Thom on the disembarkation procedure for tomorrow in Fort Lauderdale.

I supposed he was trying to make it as idiot proof as possible so he did go on a bit.

He also explained the importance of completing the Guest Satis-faction Survey Forms that the company pay so much attention too.

He did suggest the highest mark of 9 would do quite nicely!!

This was then followed by an elaborate Grand Farewell from the crew.

I don't know who was left running the ship but it appeared that crew from every department were ushered onto the stage to the cheers of the guests who had been looked after so well by them over the last 70 days.

Well done to the excellent crew.

Finally the Captain was introduced for his final message to us the guests.

Part of his presentation was to honour the employees of the months for February and March.

The names of two well deserving crew members were announced by the Captain and quickly they appeared next to him with beaming faces.

As well as being honoured in this way they also received a monetary award.

At lunch time a 'Grand Show Buffet' was being showcased in the dinning room. It says bring your cameras!

We however did not go and see the spectacular display instead prepared our baggage labels, filled in the Guest Satisfaction Survey form and started to write up today's blog.

In late morning Deden delivered the baggage tags so Maria took on the task of labelling up all our bags ready for handing over to the housekeeping staff for overnight safe keeping.

Tomorrow hopefully we would easily find them in the cruise terminal luggage hall. The bags are easily identifiable in colour and in addition have a yellow florescent luggage tag, courtesy of CSI, that should easily catch the eye.

Frank Buckingham, raconteur and travel expert extraordinaire, has asked us to join him for a farewell drink in the Java Bar before dinner. In this picture above, taken courtesy of Rosalyn's camera, joining Frank are Rosalyn, George, Jennifer, Robin, Maria and myself with an unknown lady seating behind us.

So other than that nothing much else was on the agenda today.

However I received a rather nice letter from the Guest Relations Manager offering us a not unsubstantial sum of money as a redeemable on board credit “for the patience and understanding we had shown with the various problems that affected our cabin”.

I must say this was quite a welcome surprise and will immediately help out with the considerable funds spent on the ship's Internet.

Thank you Garry.

One of the delights of traveling with Holland America on Grand Voyages is their use of a 'Bell Boy' to summons guests to dinner each night. This picture was also kindly supplied by Rosalyn showing me being summonded to dinner. Before the first and late dinner sittings this lovely young Indonesian crew member called Bagus, suitably attired and with cylaphone in hand, walks round the ship musically announcing that dinners is about to be served.

We will spend a little time tonight thanking various crew members for their hard work in helping us enjoy our voyage. It will give us the opportunity to show our appreciation.

This will be my last daily blog page for this voyage. I hope that those that have followed our journey have found it interesting and informative.

This has been my first attempt at a fully fledged blog and I have enjoyed the task although at times it was a little stressful meeting the daily deadlines.

For us it is a kind of permanent record of what we encountered during this 'trip of a life time'. It also served to keep our family and friends updated on what we were getting up to while so far away from home.

My concluding page to the blog will be an Epilogue which I hope will succinctly and fairly represent our overall view of this Grand Voyage on the ms Prinsendam.

10 comments:

  1. I'd like to thank you for giving us a glimpse into what must have been the trip of a lifetime. I've really enjoyed your daily updates. All the detail you put into each day's notation is truly appreciated and I will definitely miss it when you're done. Thanks for bringing us along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have followed several of the blogs written by passengers on this voyage. Yours is by far the best! (The Captain also did a great job with his.)
    I have a friend on the trip and it was fun to follow her activities through your blog.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I have not posted before to this blog, let me add my sincere thanks for taking the time and $$ from your precious vacation to "take us along" on your journey. What an amazing ride it has been! I was stunned when you said it was your first attempt at a full-fledged blog...you write and present as if you'd done this many times before!

    This is an itinerary that I may never be privileged to sail, so from the bottom of my heart I again say thanks for showing us all a part of the world we may never see on our own. Safe travels to you both back to your home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A "grand" thank you for your excellent blog, I followed it the whole way. Safe travels and godspeed.
    Best regards,
    Mark...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul and Maria,

    Thank you, thank you. We were "with you" thru your entire journey via your excellent and informative posts.

    Best of all, you gave us the names of all the wonderful crew we will meet tomorrow. I hope Hotel Mgr. Francoes re-joins the ship in Ft. Lauderdale in time for our departure.

    I hope all your crew returns to become "our" crew. You have raved about so many of the crew.

    Our flight to Ft. Lauderdale from Atlanta leaves at 8:30AM. At this time tomorrow we will be experiencing OUR sail-away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all your work on the Blog. I will miss my daily info, I wish you could stay on board another seventy days.

    We spent every night in the Crows Nest on our forty day cruise last year. It was fun.

    Thank You again,
    Smilinjack

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul, I believe that HAL owes you!! Your dedicated daily account has been not only highly informative and entertaining, it must have rustled up untold business for them -- the least they can do is to refund you the cost of going on line !! After all you have essentially been selling their cruise.

    Thank you very much and all the very best to you both.

    Philip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul and Maria,

    I have looked forward every day to reading you wonderful blog. It has been part of my daily life and I will miss your wonderful photos and writing. You have certaily taken us on a great voyage which we have done previously in 2 stages which brought back to me so many happy memories of South America.

    Safe travelling and I hope that when you cruise again you will do another blog. Your photos certainly tell a story together with your written word.

    Thank you.

    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul and Maria,

    I also want to give you my thanks for taking us along vicariously on your Grand Voyage on the elegant Prinsendam. I enjoyed everything you wrote and can't believe that you have never done anything like this before. I loved your information, maps and photos on each of the ports you visited. And loved your photos of the crew. I agree with the other poster that HAL should pay you for having written that blog. I have booked next year's Buenos Aires to Ft Lauderdale portion of the cruise in no small part due to you because of your pictures and postings on your trip.

    If you decide to do a future blog, could you please post the link in a follow-up to this cruise? I would love to follow any of your future journeys.

    Thanks again for such a wonderful and personal adventure. I really felt I was traveling with you and I can appreciate the time and energy it took to create us a FANTASTIC product.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So what am I supposed to do now???? you have created a blank space in my normal daily life. If you decide to produce quarterlines stick me down for a regular.
    might have a surprise visit for you soon.....
    Lots of love Paul and Maria......Phil

    ReplyDelete